Union Rescue Mission
Reverend Andy's Blog RSS Feed
 
Rev. Andy's Blog

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Tribute to Moms

This week we celebrate one of God's greatest gifts - moms! I don’t know about you, but my mom had a significant impact on me.


She instilled much of the self-confidence that I have, as she woke me up each morning to the words, “Good morning, Sunshine!” She drew me close whenever my heart was wounded or broken, prayed for healing, cared for me through many sicknesses and injuries, believed in me and cheered me on when others did not. Today, she is taking care of my precious dad, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, after he suffered a devastating stroke. What an example and hero my mom has been to me!


Not only is my mom a hero, but also my mom's older sister, my precious Aunt Dena. She helped educate and spoil me throughout my life, introducing me to Pepsi and Diet Pepsi for the first time, taking me to Florida for summer vacations, and never forgetting my birthday. I call her each Mother’s Day to give her my love and thank her for her investment into my life, as she lost her only son.


These are the moms and ladies I have in mind as I meet with the young moms and older ladies here at Union Rescue Mission and Hope Gardens Family Center.


Last Saturday, I went out and assisted and encouraged the courageous young moms at Hope Gardens who are raising their children alone and doing their best to bless their children. I attempted to run off some of the children’s energy so the moms could have a good day, but I quickly wore out and retreated home to rest!


On Monday, I had the opportunity to spend time with Betty, an 86 year old mom who I met at the Burbank winter shelter this season. She had shared with me then that she had come to check on her daughter, but found her own daughter struggling in homelessness and with mental illness. Betty took on her daughter’s homelessness in order to be by her side and watch out for her. Only a mom’s love would bring her to that point. Betty’s life goal is to stand beside her daughter, until she is in her own place, back in college, and doing well. Betty thanked me for assisting her in coming to Union Rescue Mission and I have adopted her as my mom in California! Our picture here:


On Friday, we will celebrate our moms and ladies here at Union Rescue Mission with a special party. I hope you take time to celebrate and honor the special mom and ladies who have shaped your life! They are indeed one of God’s greatest gifts to us. --Rev. Andy B.


Would you like to add a comment/compliment about your own mom or a special "mom" in your life?

Add your comments here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

EFCAGuidstar