Union Rescue Mission
Reverend Andy's Blog RSS Feed
 
Rev. Andy's Blog

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Thankful Man

This past Sunday was my birthday - my 50th birthday! I never thought I would make it to 40! In fact, I almost did not.

I have been a Type 1 diabetic for 36 years and had a heart attack at 37 and survived. Not only did I make it to 40, but now I am 50 and feeling pretty strong, walking and working out regularly, even with a permanently broken foot in 5 places. In a matter of 6 weeks, I became a Grandpa and turned 50. I feel a bit, actually, like I have finally arrived!
For my birthday, I went out to Union Rescue Mission’s Hope Gardens Family Center and climbed to the top of one of the surrounding hills to look at the 30,000 acres burned by a wildfire on Sunday, Oct. 12th. The area around Hope Gardens was completely burned and destroyed. Fire had burned to the western edge of Hope Gardens. Fire had burned the area to the eastern edge, even burned all around our water tank. Our southern most wooden bridge and our northern most bridge burnt up, but God’s hand, good planning, and the Herculean efforts of our area fire departments miraculously saved Hope Gardens. Our alert staff, security and the Sheriff evacuated everyone safely that Sunday and all were taken care of by our loving staff at Union Rescue Mission downtown.




While at Hope Gardens on Sunday, I visited our Senior Ladies living in permanent supportive housing at Sequoia Lodge. I thanked the Lord that their lives had been saved from the fire and they did not find themselves homeless once again. I discovered that the fire had burned right up to within 5 feet of the Sequoia Lodge building. Thank you, Lord!

I also said “Hi” to our moms and children living in transitional housing at Hope Gardens and watched the children play. Again, I was so thankful that these precious little ones did not have to face homelessness again- thanks to God’s goodness and grace and the community’s efforts to provide and protect. I heard last night that my little 5 year-old buddy, Guy, dreadlocks and all (I call him the honorary Mayor of Hope Gardens), was praying with the group who returned to Hope Gardens and said, “Thank you, God, for not burning the trees!” Then he and the group shouted, “Praise be to God!” I echo that sentiment.

We at URM are facing extremely difficult financial times. More folks, especially families, are coming to us in need at this time. We’ve even added another floor to house families devastated by the economic downturn, at a time when giving is way down, but the Lord has orchestrated the sale of one of our adjacent properties right on time. It will provide some much needed funds that will help carry URM and Hope Gardens for a time while, hopefully, the economy gets a chance to recover and we gear up to raise sufficient funds to operate both facilities. The timing could not have been better or closer!

Thank you, Lord. You are too good to me. You are too good to URM. I am an extremely thankful man. Blessings, Rev. Andy B.

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving season?

Add your comments here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

EFCAGuidstar